About Me (in 300 Words)

I hate cilantro (coriander), parsley, mint, basil or any other uncooked green herbs, and uncooked onions, scallions, shallots.

I hate political correctness (more than the items mentioned above).

I know more about what I hate than what I love.

I think about mortality, especially my own, all the time.

I am all for self-awareness and self-improvement.

I am a cat lady and a wanna-be dog lady. I already have a name picked out for our future doggie.

I am scared of flying, but love roller coasters, bungee jumping, ziplining and other forms of activities involving heights.

I’d pay more for an adults-only flight.

I’d like to think I am a deep thinker, but at the end of the day I am more conventional than I’d like to admit.

I love being an only child, although growing up I wouldn’t have minded having an older brother who would introduce me his handsome friends.

I hope to go on a year-long road trip in a detachable RV with my husband and our two four cats (and future dog, if any) touring the national parks in the US.

Un-nuanced people bore me.

I can dish out, but can hardly take it. But I am learning to develop a thick skin, so bring it on, bitches!

I like making lists (because you don’t have to write in complete sentences).

A good poop in the morning is far more important to me than a cup of coffee. (Yes, I am dead serious).

I consider schadenfreude and envy to be two of the most fascinating emotions.

My name is…

I hate my “default face“. I am going to smile more even if it makes me look like an idiot.

26 Responses to About Me (in 300 Words)

1. Junior Associate says:

I thought the point of having a cup of coffee in the morning was to cause a good poop, but maybe that is just me.

I like it the natural way. But when it gets bad, I am up for whatever, including colonics, of which I am a big fan. Haha, I know, TMI!

2. Angeliki says:

I’d pay more for an adult only flight, too. I wish we had the option!

I have an elder brother and never introduced me to his friends, in fact he was cross with me when I showed any interest, elder brothers are a weird thing but I love him anyway.

3. Ah. Nice blog. Weirdly personal. (take that as a compliment).
    Nice to hear you and your husband did all that traveling, and you’re going through your own midlife crisis at the age of… maybe one should have one of those crisis every year. :-)
    Read your mortality posting. I’ve had a theory for a while that we should state our age not in years we have lived, but in years we have left to live. That is the number that matters. It doesn’t make sense to say you’re 42 without knowing how many more years one has left. Makes sense?
    It’s what you call your internal clock.
    A friend told me a nice nietzche quote that stayed with me. I’ll paraphrase, it says that life is knowing that the castle you’re building in the sand will be washed away by the waves and doing it anyways. Maybe my friend has made the saying wiser, as I can’t quite find the quote online.
    Sometimes I feel we should be less Woody Allen and more Buster Keaton.

Thanks Rodrigo! I am actually at MIT right now for an event and seeing all the young faces and their idealism… I am having a self-induced midlife “crisis” (a good thing I believe) in a closely monitored and controlled manner, which will hopefully avert the cliched one later.

Nietzche’s quote (exemplary nihilism) is at least comforting in comparison to the potential of a Sisyphean existence.

Hope you are a having a great time in London!

4. JP says:

It’s not death that’s annoying, it’s old age.

You can’t do anything about the last 12 months of decline into death, but you sure better stay active and engaged enough to keep your life going up to that point.

Death is a transition, anyway. It’s not exactly final. I consider death a kind of joke.

Interesting comment. I actually don’t think death is annoying. Death is the denouement that gives life (at least the daily existence we currently live) meaning. Yes, decrepitude of old age is annoying and the scary thing is that it is not limited to only 12 months. It can be years and decades. Personally, I would love to die a quick death without awareness.

So, where and what do you think you will transition to after death?

5. gsg says:

I just saw your contribution to the NYT debate, jumped around and discovered you and your backstory to which I can relate. Because I can relate to it of course, I found it the most convincing.

Just as your parents sacrificed for you, my mother sacrificed for me. She endured a horrible marriage in a New Jersey housing project. There were six children and we were all taught that the only way out was successful education (thankfully we had public education). The lesson was delivered with a strict disciplinarian approach. Most of us succeeded, went to top schools and went on to career success. I was the first to do so.

I likewise worked in large international law firms (2) and made more money than I could imagine. I worked more hours than I thought American laws allowed, but I knew how to do that after working so hard in college. In college I worked as hard as I did for the grades, but I was as poor as a peasant.

That was 20 years ago. I was on the 7 year track, not the 9 year track, and I was offered partnership on time at the 2d firm as a lateral. I was pregnant. I quit.

To my surprise, my mother supported my decision. I’ll tell you more later.

I am inspired reading your story. I probably wouldn’t have the courage to quit if I were offered partnership. Hats off to you! I’d love to hear more of your experience.

6. Amadeuz says:

OMG! I, too, am fascinated with schadenfreude and envy. I’m also an Asian-American attorney. There must be some sort of bizarre cultural sociological link. Ha. Great blog! Can’t wait to read more from you.

Haha, we definitely should talk! Schadenfreude and envy carry such negative connotation, but I think they is something universally and logically human about them.

7. Surfergrl says:

I enjoyed reading your piece in the discussion about parenting styles and then found your blog. As the oldest of six, second generation of an illegal Scots-Irish immigrant, I had a completely different experience which I rebel against in my own parenting approach; although not in an extreme manner (I hope!). My parents didn’t focus on education as a way to succeed. Rather they viewed too much education as the “enemy”. When I expressed an interest in pursuing a doctorate after my Masters, my mother railed that it was too much education for a woman. Only their faith and strict adherence to it and their fierce allegiance to their cultural identity “at all costs” were their measures of success. I had the grades to go to an Ivy League college and the study habits and drive to succeed. Instead, I walked away from an appointment to a military academy, which I thought was my best choice, since I could get a top notch education and a job and continue to get a Masters or Doctorate without my parents’ help. Why? Because of parental pressure from my mother. She always used someone else as a surrogate for her dirty work. This time it was my grandfather, a successful self-made businessman who did not get a college education. He told me that if I went, I would start WWIII in my family. SO, I ended up at an all-girls Catholic liberal arts college and graduated with a large student loan that only increased in size as I pursued a graduate degree. You see, from the very beginning they made it clear that they were NOT going to pay for my education. How were they able to control me? Why didn’t I rebel? Because they used religion as their weapon, and because of a very narcissistic approach to parenting – Please your mother at all costs or you will be unloved. So, I have enjoyed the dialogue about education, parenting, and cultural attitudes and believe that this dialogue should continue and explore parental approaches by immigrants of various cultural backgrounds. Sadly, not all cultures valued education when they arrived, and I think that is where some of the mystique and admiration of the Chinese parenting approach derives from.

Your experience sounds pretty awful. I am sorry to hear that. I think it is always dangerous for parents to strictly impose their view of success on their children.

8. Pingback: Introducing the Newest Members of the Cheng Family | Every Six Minutes

9. Anonymous says:

Hi there!
    I really love your blog and have been avidly following it.
    Even though I am about 10 years your junior and am near the beginning of the “stairwell” (graduated, starting work in Fall) , somehow I feel like there is a lot I can learn from you. We have some common ground (I have some Asian heritage, not putting children high on the agenda) but that aside I find your posts thought-provoking and a pleasure to read.

I look forward to reading your future posts, especially the one concerning your decision not to have children!

Thank you for reading my blog and commenting. I wish you the very best of luck!

I will write a post about my decision not to have children… It is taking more time than expected, but it is forthcoming.

10. Moria says:

What is it about schadenfreude that you are fascinated by? Have you studied, witnessed, experienced that emotion? Do you believe it is an emotion that everyone experiences in varying degrees or just some people? Is it gender biased? Is it a trained behavior/emotion? Is it more prevalent in those who are very competitive by nature? Don’t feel obligated to answer my questions, I am just interested to understand it better myself because I do not think I experience that emotion because of my upbringing in a big family where a primary motto was all for one and one for all and therefore no one took pleasure it seeing anyone fail. The point was to do your best and have good sportsmanship. It was all “accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative” and “where you see you can help, help!” I suppose I am intrigued by it as well.

Great questions! I am writing a post about schadenfreude that will hopefully answer your questions. I have been wanting to write about it given my interest in it, and your comment presents the perfect opportunity. I hope to finish writing it and post it soon, that is if I don’t get too distracted by SXSW.

11. CourseX says:

“I hate cilantro (coriander), parsley, mint, basil or any other uncooked green herbs, …”

“Green crap”, as my dad says.

12. Pingback: Schadenfreude Among Friends | Every Six Minutes

13. I found your website through the Room for Debate discussion, and have been enjoying reading it! Thanks for being honest on the blog.

14. Bharat says:

Hi, I stumbled upon yr blog post, some new inspiring points, thanks for that. The one thing that stood out is that you hated being politically correct, a little surprising considering you were a lawyer and thats what lawyers are good at I thought. Probably the reason you quit!! (?). Just a thought!